Tuesday, July 17, 2007

What I'm Learning...

Vacation is a time to relax and rejuvenate your mind, soul, and body. In the midst of all of my adventures here in Colorado, I have been reading numerous books. I once heard the following quote "Readers are Leaders", so I try to read a little bit every day. One of the books that I just finished reading was The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens by Sean Covey. In his book, Sean outlines 7 habits that successful teens have. The 7 habits are as follows:

1. Be Proactive....start setting goals now! Sean states, "A goal not written is only a wish." Take control of your destiny and make wise decisions today!

2. Begin with the end in mind....the choices you make today affect your tomorrow. Choose wisely!

3. Put first things first....what are your priorities? Do you really need to watch four hours of TV tonight or should you start on your summer English project?

4. Think win-win....no one has to lose. Be a solution-maker. When something isn't working out as you had hoped it would, make the best of it for everyone involved.

5. Seek first to understand, then to be understood....Sean says,"You have two ears and one mouth, HELLO!"

6. Synergize....Proverbs 27:17 says, "As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another." Work with others--you might just learn a thing or two!

7. Sharpen the saw....make sure that you have "you" time. You need to refresh yourself. Have you ever heard the saying, "Work hard, play hard"? Sean encourages readers to rejuvenate themselves physically, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.

Right now I am sharpening my saw. I am enjoying the beautiful scenery, working out, reading great books, hanging out with my family, writing in my journal, and growing in God. Man, this sharpening stuff really works!

No comments: