Thursday, November 29, 2007

Day 17~The Crucible of Choice

Going a little farther, he fell with his face to the ground and prayed, "My Father, if it is possible, may this cup be taken from me. Yet not as I will, but as you will." He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."
-Matthew 26:39, 42

Everyday we grow in our relationship with Christ. The first step to growth, however, is a choice to obey God through His grace. The choose to obey Christ involves sacrifice. We don't always like that word, but we are required to sacrifice our very identities to follow Jesus. Now I am not saying we should all go and literally die as a sacrifice, but I am saying that we lay aside our selfish desires such as to be the best at everything or to be popular and make Jesus the complete priority for our lives. Jesus gave up His very life just so that you and I could be with Him in eternity. What are am I willing to give up for Jesus today? We can't just ask this question when life is going good. We need to ask it when it is hard to make the choice to give up everything for Jesus--in the crucible of choice.

No comments: