Wednesday, January 16, 2008

How to SPARKLE from the Inside-Out (part 2)


In Part 1 of "How to SPARKLE from the Inside-Out", we discovered how to shine from our outer image, you know, our first impressions. Today we are going to discover how to sparkle from the inside. This can definitely be harder than sparkling from the outside. When you sparkle from the outside you are virtually just smiling and dabbing on some lip gloss, but to really shine from the inside you have to dig into your heart a little bit. So, here we go...



  • Have a relationship with Jesus Christ. Having a relationship with Jesus is key to really sparkling (standing out in the crowd). Now I am not saying that you need to say this "magic" prayer and then poof, you are a sparkle queen. Having a relationship with Jesus is about so much more than just "glitter" and "shimmer". Jesus really wants to be your Best Friend, Comforter, Provider, and True Love. He came from Heaven as a baby to grow up and die for you and for me. He loved us that much. I have never had anyone die for me before. His love for me boggles my mind. I cannot even comprehend it, but I guess that is what makes it so special. There is nothing that we can do to make Jesus love us any more or any less than He already does. He is the Saviour of the world and He wants to have a relationship with you to help guide you through life. To have a relationship with Him all you have to do is ask. You could say a simple prayer like this...

Dear Jesus, I am realizing how much you really do love me. I cannot even imagine all of the pain that you went through for me. Thank you. Please come into my heart. Make me a new person in you. I want to have a relationship with you and enjoy eternity with you in Heaven someday. Please guide and direct me. I love you. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


  • Spend Time with Jesus.


Prayer: You hang out with your friends, right? You talk to them, call them, email them, go to the movies, have sleepovers, etc. But the key thing is you talk to them. It is the same with Jesus. Talk to Him. tell Him your hopes, dreams, fears, goals, worries....anything that is on your mind. You could even write your prayers in a journal to help you sort out your thoughts. (This really helps me a lot!)




Devotions: But also to have a relationship with Jesus you need to listen to what He has to say. Read the Bible--this is the best work of literature I have ever read! There is hope in the pages of the Bible. It is jam-packed with true stories of men and women who messed up, got back on track, and made a huge difference for God's kingdom. You could try reading through the Bible in one year or buy a good devotional book (usually you can find them at www.amazon.com or www.lifeway.com or at your local Christian bookstore) to help get you started. It is also good to read one chapter in the book of Proverbs a day. There are 31 chapters so you can read it in one month!




Here are a couple devotional book ideas...



*A Young Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George


*True Life Bible Studies (Features Miriam, Hagar, and Leah in three separate books) by Shannon Kubiak Primicerio


*A Call to Die by David Nasser


*SHE by Rebecca St. James


*Sister Freaks by Rebecca St. James




Relationships with Christian Friends: It is important to have other Christian friends to help guide you in your walk with Christ. This means you should definitely go to church where you can get plugged into a good youth group. Not only will you make friends in youth group, but you can also invite your unsaved friends to go with you to hear about Jesus. Good Christian friends can help keep you accountable so that you don't slip back into old habits.


Church: If your family doesn't already attend a church, find a church that you can really connect with. Make sure that your church has a youth group (if they don't have one, help start one!) so that you can get connected with other Christian teens. At church look for ways to serve God. Help out with the Children's ministry, bake cookies for your pastor, help clean the youth room, etc. Use your gifts to honor God.


Share: Since you have a relationship with the Creator of the Universe wouldn't you want to share that with just about everyone that you know?! Tell your friends about God. Look for ways to bring up the subject...you might be surprised at how much your friends really do want to hear about what you believe. Don't shove anything down their throat, just state what Jesus has done for you and why you believe in Him. You know the people that you do for a reason. I want to tell everyone I know about Jesus. I do not want to stand in Heaven someday and look into the eyes of one of my former classmates and have them scream at me, "Why didn't you tell me there was a God?" as they are thrown into hell. I do not want to experience that pain.


Please know that you are NOT supposed to be perfect. God loves you exactly as you are. You will mess up.....hello, we ARE human! I mess up all the time! But what is important is what we do after we mess up--will we get back on our feet, ask God's forgiveness, and move forward?



So, how do you feel? I know this is a lot of information, but these steps will really help you in your relationship with God. let me know how I can help you too. I would love to pray for you or answer any questions that you may have! Just drop me an email at emilybc91@yahoo.com or leave me a comment.

No comments: