Monday, January 21, 2008

TEAM Cummins


Today I am going to take you straight to the in zone to meet the starting line-up for Team Cummins (my family). Completely active on and off the field, this team trains hard, works hard, and most certainly plays hard!

Our team captain, Mark (or better known to me as “Daddy”), is a football coach in an all-girl’s world. Instead of cheering for the Gators, he is forced into watching girly movies. His team players absolutely love him though and Team Cummins would be completely boring without this hilarious and completely lovable guy! He is a beach boy at heart and loves long rides in his convertible (with the top down) while talking to his favorite princess, Linda. He cannot survive one day without a cup of God’s juice (better known as coffee) with an endless supply of chocolate. He loves running and talking about memories from his U.S. Marine Corps days. His only fear (besides his daughters dating some knuckle-headed boy) is of being eaten by a big dog while he runs! His doctoral dissertation from Liberty University is titled Creative Preaching: How Multisensorary Preaching Connects the Word of God to the 21st Century. He is a hands-on speaker and will always keep you on your toes! He is the pastor at First Baptist Church Ocala.

The heartbeat of our team is my Mom, Linda. Linda was born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio and also enjoys long convertible rides with her man. She is a fabulous cook—believe me, once you have tasted the delightful treats that come from Linda’s CafĂ© you will be back for more! She is constantly keeping my Daddy in line, especially when it comes to who has control of the remote when an HGTV show is on! God has given her a passion for women and teaching His Word. She has led women’s Bible studies and invested in the lives of women all over the nation. In the midst of her busy schedule, she always finds time to invest in her daughters by providing an example of what it means to be a lady whose value begins and ends with God.

The youngest player on Team Cummins is my sister, Katie. Katie is fourteen-years-old and a freshman in high school. She is the bundle of energy in our team—she is always ready to go! She is our surfer and extreme sports girl. This past summer, Katie’s love for surfing bubbled over when she attended a Walking on Water surf camp in California with Bethany Hamilton. Since she is completely tech-savvy, we always run to her for help with our computer and cell phone problems! She is free-spirited and just enjoys hanging out with our family. One of her favorite things to do is eat ice-cream and show my Daddy how to do text messaging! Katie’s favorite artists on her ipod are Krystal Meyers, Barlowgirl, and Rascal Flatts. Oh, by the way, if you ever go surfing and get stung by a jelly fish, just ask Katie what to do to take the sting away!


Last, but not least, let’s talk about me! I am sixteen-going-on-seventeen baby it’s time to think. Better be careful…oops! I’m not in the Sound of Music! Sorry, back to getting to know me! While Katie is free-spirited, I am the organizer of the family. I am a dancer. My favorite type of dance is lyrical, a more expressive form of dance. I am very crafty—I enjoy scrap booking and card-making. I am your typical coffee-shop kind of girl! One of my passions is my blog (http://www.emilybcummins.blogspot.com/). The purpose of my blog is to share my life experiences and encourage others. It has been my privilege to talk to girls from all across the world about discovering their confidence in Christ. I have a strong passion for pre-teen girls. I am currently writing a small group curriculum for 5th and 6th grade girls that affirms their identity in Christ as “His princess” and helps them with the confidence issues that so many girls face. As a junior, I am looking forward to college and everything that God has planned for my life. While I am not sure exactly where I am going to college yet, I do know that I will major in English and go on to Law School. I enjoy just hanging out with my family, watching chick flicks, and eating chocolate ice-cream!

I hope you enjoyed this little sneak-peek into the lives of TEAM Cummins.....we truly are a team. I am so blessed to be a part of this family!

No comments: