One thing that I have been learning lately is to just enjoy living exactly where God has me today at seventeen-years-old. I know this probably sounds crazy, like Emily, do you not enjoy being seventeen or something? I love being seventeen, but I all too often try to get to that next step in my life--you know past college and actually knowing what I am going to do with my life. I miss out on being seventeen by trying to grow up too fast. I don't want to rush through this stage in my life and miss out on enjoying the experience of being a teenager. Experiences like getting my drivers license, my senior year of high school, sleepovers, youth group, and road trips. I will have the rest of my life to think about "grown up" stuff. Now does this mean that I shouldn't be proactive at all? Nope. I need to work today so that I can enjoy tomorrow, but that comes with a balance. God is teaching me to stop and smell the roses, really smell them. He is showing me who I am, not who I think that other people want me to be. Seventeen. . . a journey of discovery, a journey of contentment and satisfaction--a journey of trusting Jesus with everything that I have.
Seventeen Reasons to Enjoy Being Seventeen:
- You will never be "17" again!
- It's the last time you are considered a kid.
- You will never be back in high school (unless of course you fail your senior year!).
- Learning to drive is an interesting experience--I just got my license today! : )
- Your youth group days are almost over so cherish them and step up to lead.
- You are finally the "top dog" on campus. Watch out because you are soon to be fresh meat again!
- Still no rent bills to worry about paying.
- You can still eat and have a metabolism working for you!
- First time jobs are so much fun!
- You can still go hang out with your friends without thinking about kids, work, or any of that stuff that parents have to think about.
- You can still come home to your mom's homemade meals.....yummy!
- You can lower your car insurance by getting good grades at school. Now that is a great deal!
- You can still get excited about going to Disney World and getting all of the princesses' autographs.
- Pancakes in funky shapes with m&ms still taste good!
- Sleepovers can still happen without it feeling weird.
- You can watch the premiere of Camp Rock without looking too cheesy.
- God has you at seventeen right now for a reason, so why not enjoy it?!!