It is never easy to be on the "outside looking in," as the popular saying goes. But what do people mean by this statement? Half of the time we are on the outside because of our own fear and insecurities. It is not easy to step out and initiate a conversation with someone that you don't know, but with practice it can get easier!
Have you ever thought that maybe you are supposed to go to social events to encourage others? Events held for your youth group are not held for you to be entertained. They are held for you to reach out and love those around you--even the people that you don't know very well. You don't know what goes on behind the masks that other people wear. People around you are hurting and desperate for someone to love them for who they are, not what they do or who they hang out with. That someone who loves them unconditionally can be you. All you have to do is take a deep breath, walk over, and say hello.
Easy Conversation Starters:
- Hi, my name is Emily. What's your name?
- I go to Forest High School. Where do you go to school?
- What grade are you in? I am going to be a senior this year. I am so excited to graduate!
- Do you play any sports? I enjoy swimming and spinning classes.
- What is your favorite food?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters? I have one little sister--she is awesome!
Just think of talking with someone as if you were playing tennis. You hit the ball into their court and then they have to hit it back. So, you begin the match with a "hello, what's your name?" They hit the ball back with "my name is Katie, what's your name?" And you keep playing from there.
Be open to the little conversations that God brings your way today. You just might be surprised where they come up!