Wednesday, June 29, 2011

those nights you just can't fall asleep...

The day started early and stayed constantly busy. You know those days when you cross one project off the to-do list and suddenly five more projects seem to take its place? I experienced that somewhat today. Accomplishment feels great, and learning new aspects in areas of expertise is extremely rewarding. But, now I just can't sleep. It's like that phenomenon of your brain working, working, working, and then trying to shut it off, but it just won't power down...and all that coffee that kept me on my toes during the day probably isn't working in my favor right now.

So, in my sleepless hours, my mind has drifted. It's scanned the contents of the day...things I've learned, things I've experienced, what I've thrown my passion into. And it has drifted to several verses that I started my day with.
Open up before God, keep nothing back; He'll do whatever needs to be done: He'll validate your life in the clear light of day and stamp you with approval at high noon. Quiet down before God, be prayerful before Him. Don't bother with those who climb the ladder, who elbow their way to the top. Psalm 37:5-7, the Message
Before this day even began to fill up, God whispered the importance of being still in His presence into the deepest chambers of my heart. He spoke truth into my very being that would become the confidence I would need throughout the day. Before I even attempted a single project, God said that He would empower me & validate my life--but I had to do something to get there...I had to choose to quiet down in the midst of busyness and be prayerful before Him.

Looking back over the day, I can't help but wonder if I truly took this advice. I did to an extent, but not enough to make me truly thrive. I talked to God throughout the day, but I didn't allow myself to get quiet enough to hear the confidence He was breathing into my soul. I can talk all day long, but if I don't allow His words to permeate my being, I've really gained nothing but a loss of words. Yes, talking to God is important, but listening to what He says is equally--if not more--important.

As I allow my mind to slowly drift to sleep tonight, my prayer is that tomorrow I will choose to embrace putting an intentional halt on the busy moments of life so that I can be prayerful before the One who gave me those moments in the first place.

Photo courtesy of Megan Mercier.

No comments: