Monday, January 9, 2012

Adios, fast-food mentality

Sometimes I think it's the little things in life that make the biggest impact. Case in point: a plastic plate put a huge smile on my face the other day.

Let's rewind a little bit, shall we? I was headed home from Passion 2012 in ATL, and stopped at Chick-fil-A to grab some lunch (best road trip food ever). Many of you have been on my jaw surgery journey with me over the past three years. I didn't write about it over the past few weeks, but I had my last surgery a few weeks ago! (To read more about my journey, click here.) Being in recovery, I am limited on what I can eat. So, tiny bites of really soft things are my best friend at the moment. Going to Chick-fil-A, I knew I would need to break up my lunch into little pieces....and typically, Chick-fil-A food doesn't come on a plate. So what did I do? I asked the server if he had any plastic plates I could have. He said he would check, but really didn't know. No big deal. I went on, found a table with my friends, and forgot about even asking for a plate! The next thing I know, the server came and found me to give me a plate! I was literally so excited I wanted to give him a hug!

"OK, boring story, Emily. What's your point?" Yes, yes, I hear you. I'm getting there! This little story may seem inconsequential, but in that moment it's like time froze in my mind. Jesus used a server at Chick-fil-A to teach me something extremely important: don't treat people like fast-food meals. This guy could've gone on with his day without following up with me. He didn't have to find a plate and give it to me--he didn't even know that I had recently had surgery and couldn't eat normally. He just saw me as a typical customer asking for something extra. But he helped me anyways.

In Psalm 14, God searches for just one man--one woman--ready for God to move. Verses 2-4 in the Message version says, "God sticks his head out of heaven. He looks around. He's looking for someone not stupid--one man, even, God-expectant, just one God-ready woman. He comes up empty. A string of zeroes. Useless, unshepherded sheep, taking turns pretending to be Shepherd. The ninety and nine follow their fellow. Don't they know anything, all these impostors? Don't they know they can't get away with this--treating people like a fast-food meal over which they're too busy to pray?"

Last week, I heard the Word of God in an unmistakeable way. He has good works for me to do right now--TODAY. I don't need to wait to do great things until I have my career nailed down, have a family, or find that perfect BFF. I can do good NOW....I just have to step into God's story today. I don't want to treat people like fast-food meals over which I'm too busy to pray. I want to walk slowly with a smile on my face, showering love and grace onto everyone God places in front of me right now, today.

Adios, fast-food mentality. God, I choose to step into your story NOW, today. I don't want to wait until I perceive that I have this thing called life figured out--because quite honestly, I don't think I'll ever even get there. God, I choose to live today, inhale deeply, and love abundantly.

No comments: