Friday, November 23, 2007

Day 10~Rubbish...What does that Mean?

But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ.
-Philippians 3:7-8

"The call of Jesus teaches us that our relation to the world has been built on an illusion."
-Dietrich Bonhoeffer

When we see Jesus and how awesome He is, the things of this world are rubbish! The Apostle Paul clearly gets explains this in his letter to the Philippians. He says that he "considers" it rubbish. To consider means you really think about it and ponder on it; to meditate on it and really know what it means. We need to really "consider" the things in our life--do they reflect Christ or our selfish desires? Paul's passion came from wanting to bring honor and glory to God every single day of his life. I want to have that same passion, but first I need to be content whatever the circumstances (Philippians4:12-13). David Nasser says, "When we 'consider' the truth and that truth shatters our illusions, it sinks deep into our hearts and changes our lives. Suddenly, the things that seemed so important become nuisances and Jesus consumes us."

I want to have the fire and passion in my life today.

No comments: