Friday, January 2, 2009

Living A 1440 Year Beginning At Jesus' Feet

During Christmas break I took out my journal and Bible, sat on my bed, and decided to think about this new year in front of me. 2009 in itself is a big year. In April my little sister is celebrating her "sweet 16!" Then in June I will be graduating from high school. And right after my graduation my parents will be celebrating their 20th wedding anniversary! So, there are a lot of "big" things coming up, but I wanted to really think about the little things in my life that would make 2009 different than 2008.


This past summer my youth group's theme for our camp was 1440. There are 1,440 minutes in a day. You and I have 1,440 minutes to live every, single day. How we live those minutes is extremely important and changes eternity. Think back to what you did today. How long did you spend sleeping? Watching TV? Reading? Hanging out with your family? On the Internet?

There are five main questions that need to be answered in order to try and live according to the 1440 principle:
  1. What am I living for?
  2. What am I trusting in?
  3. What am I walking toward?
  4. What am I focusing on?
  5. What is my life saying?

Mark 14:4o says, "When he came back, he again found them sleeping, because their eyes were heavy. They did not know what to say to him." Jesus' disciples didn't know how to respond to Jesus because they had wasted the minutes that He had given them. Jesus blesses us with precious time to make a difference in this world for Him. Too often we put that off until tomorrow, next week, or for next year's new year's resolutions. The 1440 lifestyle begins today.

Don't know where to start? Proverbs 1:7 says, "Start with God—the first step in learning is bowing down to God; only fools thumb their noses at such wisdom and learning" (The Message). How do you start living 1440? By starting at the feet of Jesus Christ. This is my resolution this year--this is what I resolve to do in 2009. I am determined to start my day with Jesus Christ. So that means that before I turn on my computer or the TV, before I work out, before I scrapbook, before I do anything I am going to sit at Jesus' feet and spend time with Him. Then throughout the rest of the 1,440 minutes of that day I want those moments spent at Jesus' feet to guide me and direct me to make a difference for Jesus.

No comments: