Wednesday, April 9, 2014

let your no shape your yes

I read a statement once that I haven't been able to forget: "Some of the most life-shaping decisions you make in this season will be about walking away from good-enough, in search of can't-live-without." That simple truth got me thinking that perhaps what we say no to is just as important as what we say yes to...and sometimes, our no might be even more important that our yes.

Good is fine and all, but I don't want to settle for just good. I want to live out everything God has planned for me to the best of my ability. I want to graduate from good to great. I want to grow, dive deeper, push through leadership lids, and become. I don't want a life that's stagnant and stale; I don't want to live trapped in a sea of bland. I want a life of color, adventure, and risk. I want to put my head on my pillow each night knowing that if God doesn't show up in the dreams He's put in my heart, it's game over for me. I want to be dependent, but only on Jesus. I want to pursue my passions relentlessly. I want to challenge myself, push myself to the limit, and discover just how far I can go.

But in order to really fulfill the call God has on my life, I'm going to have to start saying no.

No to hasty decisions.
No to pleasing people rather than pleasing God.
No to unhealthy relationships.
No to perfectionism.
No to unintentional living.
No to settling for average.
No to thinking I know it all.
No to living stuck in past shame.
No to unwise thoughts.
No to good-enough.

The foundation I build with my nos will lead to a stronger yes. Yes to what God has created me for. Yes to who He has called me to be. Yes to the life I want to lead. Yes to the girl I want to become.

Without saying no, I can't set myself up to say yes.

What will you say no to today in order to say a resounding YES?

No comments: